-
August 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello at all,
I am the happy owner of a selfmade A7-500 with 515-8G. I love that speaker. On the other hand I own also selfmade Valencia too, including a 416-8C as woofer.
In my oppinion the Valencia seems to have some deeper bass than the A7. So I had the idea completing the A7 with a sub system without changing the 828.
I have two spare 416-8C and think about building a compound sub with these speakers. Max. capacity max be about 15,5 cft. My programm WinISD shows a nice plot.
Is there anybody with experience about that sub? What do you think, is it a good idea?
Any advice appreciated!
Best regards
Wolf
-
August 25th, 2003, 10:49 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi Wolf,
I do not have experience with the sub you wrote about but I think it would be good. I have two A7-500 self made cabinets that I love. I got better bass by making the port smaller. Try reducing your A7 port to about 75 square inches and see if you like that better.
Best wishes,
-
August 26th, 2003, 02:54 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I have built two sub cabs using two 416Cs in each cab.. they are 14.5 cubic feet and I think I tuned them to 40HTZ.. I believe the 416c calls for 7.3 cubic ft.. I also run 515-8Gs in an A-7 along side those cabs... on top I run 292s from 500- 1000htz and 288s from 1000-10,000 and a 902 up from there.. ... But I understand that the ultimate sub uses 515Es...
-
August 28th, 2003, 02:31 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Loaded bass horn boxes like the 828, 816, & 210 tend not to produce much coherent bass if you are too close. The "recombinant wavefront" on an 828 is some 10' out, and most in-house listening is done closer than that.
The Valencia being a ported reflex box will have a lot more linear bottom end up close, hence sounding like it has more bass than a loaded box in a smallish (read shallow) room.
In other words, for a rectangular room, the A7's always sound beter if they are blowing the long way and you are as far back from them as possible.
If you push one of each outside and light them up, the A7 or 5 will win, hands down if you listen across the street. You might want to consult your neighbors as to their music type preference, however.
-
August 28th, 2003, 09:49 PM
#5
Inactive Member
@ Conelrad:
I know well this kind of problems, I am working a little bit in PA and music studio. My listening room for the A7 has about 70m2 (750sqft) of area and our distance to the A7 is about 7m (23 ft), for the Valencia the room is smaller (about 40m2 (430 sqft)).
It is only the deepest bass, if you know what I mean. I never will change the A7, they are by far the best sounding speaker I ever had.
@ Dave:
I will test that smaller prot, I heard, the big vent is not the best for the 515-G.
My speaker programm has problems calculating the 515 in a 312l- (11cft-) cabinet with that big port.
@dfish:
why did you choose 416-C for sub? Was it the same accident as mine two spare 416-C's? I heard, the 416-B should be the better choose for the low end.
Do you have some photos about your speaker?
The idea was
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks